The Safeguarding of children and adults is of great importance to anyone in society. Milton Keynes have separate children’s and adults safeguarding boards who have representatives from multiple agencies including Milton Keynes Council, health services, police, voluntary sector and inspection and regulation services, who work together to promote the welfare of children, young people and adults and to ensure the effectiveness of the arrangements made by individual agencies and the wider partnership to safeguard and promote the welfare of individuals through high support and high challenge.
MKSCB – Milton Keynes Children’s Safeguarding Board
MKSCB is a statutory body created under the Children Act 2004. Section 14 of the Children Act 2004 sets out the objectives of LSCBs, which are:
- To coordinate what is done by each person or body represented on the Board for the purposes of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children in the area; and
- To ensure the effectiveness of what is done by each such person or body for those purposes.
Regulation 5 of the Local Safeguarding Children Boards Regulations 2006 sets out that the functions of the LSCB, are as follows:
- Develop policies and procedures for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children in Milton Keynes, including policies and procedures in relation to: The action to be taken where there are concerns about a child’s safety or welfare, including thresholds for intervention
- Training of people who work with children or in services affecting the safety and welfare of children
- Recruitment and supervision of people who work with children
- Investigations of allegations concerning people who work with children
- Safety and welfare of children who are privately fostered
- Cooperation with neighbouring children’s services authorities and their Board partners
- Communicate to people and organisations in Milton Keynes the need to safeguard and promote the welfare of children, raising their awareness of how this can best be done and encouraging them to do so
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of what is done by the authority and their Board partners individually and collectively to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and advising them on ways to improve
- Participate in the planning of services for children in Milton Keynes
- Undertake reviews of serious cases and child deaths and advise the authority and their Board partners on lessons to be learned.
- Publish an annual report on the effectiveness of child safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children in Milton Keynes
- Provide challenge to ensure that there is a comprehensive, effective and adequately
Governance and accountability
Milton Keynes Safeguarding Children Board is a statutory body and in line with Working Together 2015 it remains independent in order to provide effective challenge to partner agencies. MKSCB will not be subordinate to, nor subsumed within, other local structures.
It is the responsibility of the Chief Executive of MK Council to appoint or remove the LSCB chair with the agreement of a panel including MKSCB partners and lay members. The Chief Executive, drawing on other MKSCB partners and, where appropriate, the Lead Member will hold the Chair to account for the effective working of MKSCB (localised from WT 2015).
MKSCB has a role in co-ordinating and ensuring the effectiveness of the work of local partners to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. The Board will hold organisations, individually and in partnership, to account for their performance in this respect. However, the Board is not accountable for their operational work and each Board partner retains their organisational lines of accountability for the organisation, delivery and quality of safeguarding practice. When sitting as Board Members they share collective corporate responsibility for the performance, quality and impact of the whole safeguarding “system” in Milton Keynes, for shared improvement activity and for mutual high support and high challenge with regard to each other’s effectiveness.
MKSCB Annual Report The MKSCB Annual report is completed by the Independent Chair of the Board each autumn and the 2014-2015 Annual Report is now available to download: MKSCB Annual Report 2014 – 2015
MKSCB Vision – ‘High Support and High Challenge’
To support Children and Young People to change their environment – as they want- and make MK the best setting for them it can be!
- Central Engagement with Children and Young People – Developing a Participation Strategy
- Learning and Improvement Group – Performance Task and Finish Group
Multi-agency task and finish groups will be arranged to address specific pieces of work.
The MKSCB will continue to build on existing relationships with local boards and partnerships – Renewing Partnership Agreements and devising a Joint Protocol
If you require further information about Milton Keynes Safeguarding Children Board, please contact us at the address below.
Safeguarding Adults – Policies and Procedures
Working in partnership is a very important part of protecting adults at risk and this includes having an agreed way of responding to concerns and reports of abuse. These are set out in a series of policies and procedures which are reviewed annually and updated as necessary.
Click here to download
Safeguarding Policy and Practice Guide
PLEASE NOTE The Safeguarding Adult Board has approved an amended Safeguarding Adults Policy and Practice Guide effective from 1st June 2015. This is an update of the policy to ensure that it complies with the Care Act 2014; it is not a full review and has not changed the Safeguarding process.
Click here to download
Tel: 01908 253772 (Monday to Friday from 9am to 5:15pm)
In an emergency, out of these hours: 01908 605650
1 Saxon Gate East
Central Milton Keynes